Still digging down the rabbit hole. I think I’m reaching the end of the road for this sort of thing, or at least without some sort of drastic writing change. I do like this one though, and I think it’s pretty close to what I imagined.
I can’t fully remember what I used, but in essence, it was:
- Novation DrumStation (kick and shaker)
- Antares AVP-1 (used for stereo effect on kick)
- Kawai K4R (snare, misc. percussion)
- Akai MPC 4000 (sequencing, sampling vocal)
- Behringer Filter Machine FM600
- Behringer Ultra Metal UM 300 (distortion various elements)
- Lexicon Reverbs
- RNC1773 Compressor (used on kick)
- TC Electronics Fireworx (effect reverbs, delays)
- SPL Transient Designer (gentle use on each track)
- Art Pro VLA II (master)
- Voxengo Elephant 3 (fabulous limiter, and highpass filter)
- And the vocal sample is from an old RA The Rugged Man track, although it’s not RA.
I’ve taken to recording at 96kHz recently because I’ve found that some of the processors I use sound a little better at super high sampling rates like that. Also, I do a lot of sampling and pitching of my own recordings, so having it all in 96kHz give me a little more headroom for twisting them. This is then resampled to 44.1kHz 24bit once the master is complete.
I’ve been using iZotope RX8 to finalise the masters recently, it think it has the best sounding resampling algorithm I’ve tested so far. Clean and warm. if you’re interested the settings I use are shown below: