I made some significant changes to my monitoring setup recently – was finally able to settle in the sub and get a decent response down to around 20Hz. This means I don’t need to be so reliant on headphones when making music, which I think is always a huge bonus. Headphones reveal too much, and at the same time don’t really give you a full picture of what’s happening.
In order to test my new setup, I spend a while messing around with a new idea. I think sonically it cabe out really well, and hopefully solidifies the changes I’ve made.
A bit of juke / tech stuff made on the following:
- Waldorf MicroWave XT (drums and percussion, as well as pads)
- Roland M-DC1 (snare)
- Yamaha TX81Z (small textures)
- Art Pro VLA II (master)
- Toft ATC-2 (track compression and EQ)
- Vermona DSR-3 (spring reverb on pad)
- Roland RE-201 Space Echo (delay elements)
- various guitar pedals (tremolo, distortion, chorus, simple delay etc.)
- SPL Transient Designer (use on each track)
- Akai MPC 4000 (sequencing, sampling vocal)
- Lexicon Reverb (utility reverbs, mixing, placement etc.)
- Voxengo Elephant 3 (fabulous limiter, and highpass filter)
It’s kinda goofy sounding, but I’m trying to push forward into something new. I quite like it, and I think it’s one of the most cleanly produced things I’ve done in a while. There’s a handshake waiting for anyone who can name me the vocal samples (hint in the title).
You can download it here: https://www.lvcchesi.com/downloads/herbs.zip